Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Riding Mountain East Gate

After going to the bison compound in the morning, I came home for some lunch then off I went again. This time to Riding Mountain East Gate. Normally the drive is 35 minutes but because the road is closed it takes almost 3 hours there and back. What's so significant about the East Gate. Why did I have to go. Well let me tell you.

In the 1930’s the East Gate was built as part of Canada’s Depression Relief Program. During the dirty thirties (the Great Depression) farms were failing and people were desperate for jobs. Riding Mountain had the largest relief camp in operation employing over 1,200 men in ten camps. Their work included building Hwy 19 (which is closed due to frost heaving) and 86 buildings within the park.
The architecture of the East Gate is an example of the 1930’s rustic design in Canada’s national parks. The gate design was once used at all Riding Mountain entrances. Many of the parks craftsmen were of Swedish immigrants with expertise in log and stone construction. This historic landmark is the last remaining gate of its kind in Canada’s parks.
In 1995 the east gate complex was officially established as a historic site.
As I was walking around the East Gate I came across a Ruffed Grouse who was just minding his own business.
Most of the back roads are gravel. I could see where some of the frost heaving occurred. The next picture is looking back at Riding Mountain. Note the elevation difference.
On the way home I found Canada's version of little house on the prairie. I love beat up old places. They have so much character. If the walls could only talk. Lots of stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment