Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Riding Mountain Bison Compound

The next morning very early I was up and on the road to the Bison Compound. Yes, I said Bison. No sooner had I turned off the main road I spotted my first moose. I almost drove right by him/her. It was tucked back in the bush real nicely.
Nice little beaver dam
The road into the compound was very rough to say the least. Much of it was washboard, other parts just big potholes. The distance is 39 kms from the campground to the compound.
Jackfish Creek
Bison are no longer in danger of becoming extinct. In 1889 there were less than 100, now there are over 40,000 in Canada. In the summer the bison move to the south range when the fescue goes to seed. Also, bison rut in late July early August. In the fall bison calves are grazing not nursing. In the winter bison move to the north range which provides enough food for survival. Unlike most animals, bison face into the wind as their fur is heaviest over their head, neck, and shoulders. In spring the bison are still in the north range. They shed their winter coats. Calves are mainly born in May.

Entrance to Bison Compound ...Texas Gate 

Then I turned a corner and there she was with her baby. What amazing creatures. At one point she walked right beside my truck. I'm sure I still have bison hair on the grill.
After an hour of watching Mum and baby I went back to the bison information center. I was a little nervous walking the pathway up to the gate. Bisons can roam this whole area if they want.
Looking out over the fescue plains I couldn't see another bison.
After spending 3 hours in the compound I decided that it was time I headed back. Momma and baby headed into the bush to get relief from the hot sun. What a morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment