Sunday, November 6, 2016

Travellin' To Florida

Many people have asked which way do we travel to Florida. My response is whatever way suits us at that point in time. Meaning there are several ways of getting there I-75, I-79 to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, or the route we took this year I-79 to the I-77. Your probably wondering what in the world is she talking about. If you don't know the roads you wouldn't have a glue of what I'm talking about. So let me explain our route, the overnight stops, and so on.

As we pulled out of Fifty Point it was a gorgeous fall day. The sun was coming up and of course shining right in our eyes. Well that was short lived. The closer we got to the Fort Erie/Buffalo border the more cloudy it got. Luckily, it's too warm for snow and their's no rain in the forecast. We crossed over with a short wait and minimal questions asked. 

Our first days drive is always the longest, approximately 320 miles to Morgantown WV. This route takes us down the 1-90 from Buffalo to Erie PA. At Erie we catch the I-79 south towards Pittsburgh then straight into Morgantown. This far north, campgrounds that are open this late in the year are few and far between. So you take what you can get. While in Morgantown we stay at Mylan Park. A place we have stayed before. I also wrote a short blog on this park. Like I said before it's nothing but a big paved parking lot with water, electric 20/30/50 amp and if your lucky to get there on a non football game day you get sewer for $40 per night. We weren't so lucky. Yes, it's pricey considering we didn't have sewer but they do have 24 hour security, it's well lite at night, and there's lots of open space to walk around. This picture is from November 2013. You get the idea.
The drive to Morgantown is all interstate and relatively flat. The leaves have fallen off the trees so it's not real pretty. The sun did start shining again in Erie PA making for a nicer day. Other than a stop for diesel and another to stretch our legs we made the drive in great time. My average speed was around 60-62 mph and I got about 11.5 - 12 mpg. We left at 8:30 am and arrived at 2:30 pm.

I've often suggested to Susan that we should spend some time in Morgantown since there's so many interesting things to see and do. Well, maybe next time she has her eyes on the bigger picture...Florida, warm weather, and a heated swimming pool. In the meantime we still have 4 more legs of our trip to go but we're getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment