Tuesday, April 21, 2015

On The Road Home

Yes, we are on the road again but this time we are travelling north, way north. No, not the North Pole north. Although, after this past winter people back home are sure saying it felt like the North Pole. Yes you guessed it, we are homeward bound via the I-75. After saying goodbye to our friends, down the road we went, knowing we won’t be back here for at least 4 years.

Our first destination we decided would be Myakka River State Park which is only 100 miles up the road. We left Bonita Springs at 10 am and it was already 84 F. It should have been only a 1-1/2 drive but of course there was a traffic accident. It did not look all to bad just lots of bent fenders. We arrived and it was the fastest check in I have every done at any park. The dogs barely had a chance to get out of the truck to do their business.

After we got all set up and had some lunch I went out exploring. This park is like home to me since we have been here so many times. I’m not going to bore you with things I have already written about. Instead I will find something interesting. When I was out exploring the wind really picked up and there were a few rain drops. I found out later that several tornadoes and some severe weather passed through just north of us, in the St Pete’s, Tampa area. How lucky not to be driving through that.

We opted to stay in Myakka for 2 nights so I was up at the crack of dawn and out the door to explore Myakka. My first stop was the bird walk. Not much happening out there. I did see a mating pair of Sandhill Cranes with their young one. Also a wild turkey strutting his stuff. I made my way to the Myakka Trading Post where shorebirds and gators always hang out at the weir.
A young Sandhill Crane
A male turkey strutting his stuff for the female
A Dowitcher unsure whether its a long or short billed
I called it a short day since it was soooooooo hot all the birds, gators, and wildlife disappeared. I did see this lone deer going to walk across the road. Even it was hot, it was panting.
It was really hot
Our next stop will be Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment