Thursday, June 26, 2014

Quirpon, NL

The day started at 5 am with getting up to the alarm clock and pouring rain outside and I mean torrential. Today we make the trek across the water to Newfoundland on the 8 am ferry. Susan and I are both excited because we leave the caravan and start to do our own thing.

We leave the campground at 6:30 drive 15 minute drive to the ferry and wait in line. At 7:15 am Burt our wagon master comes around with numbers and indicated that we might not all get on this sailing. I guess the ferry overbooked even though we had reservations. There are 8 of us and guess who gets number 8. You got it, Susan and myself.

At 8 am the ferry is loaded and a really nice lady comes up to me as I eagerly await my turn to get on and says in her Newfie ascent " I'm sorry me darlin' your not going to get on to this boat". Everyone is on except Susan and myself even the tailgunner who is suppose to be last.

Fast forward about 20 minutes as we wait and lots of juggling of vehicles, the head load master waves me on the boat. Hallelujah. I drive onto the ferry very slowly because there's not that much room. I stop then he tells me it won't work and I have to back off again and wait for the next sailing. You can't imagine what Susan and I said and how we felt.

They moved a small white truck off then drove it to the outer side of the ferry. I was motioned back on the ferry. This time it was millimeters between me and the vehicles on each side. At one point 4 guys rocked the white truck back and forth to manually move it over 6 inches. That's a first for me but obviously not for them, they look like they have done it before. We're on, the ferry doors close, and we are off. Talk about stress. There's more to this story but I have to omit it because I definitely was not a happy camper.

We reached the Viking RV Park in Quirpon (pronounce Car - poon). As we pulled in the sun came out and it turned warm.
Beautiful blue sky and nice campground
Our site 30 amp service and water, life is good
Showers don't look like much but they are
clean with lots of hot water
Nice tenting sites but black flies are terrible everywhere
Two other couples, Ted & Bev and Bob & Cathy from the caravan decided to stay at the park also. We decided to carry on the tradition of happy hour, so we sat by the campfire reminiscing about the trip so far. Earlier Bob tried his luck fishing in the lake but caught nothing.
I can see this lake out my window
I was up early the next morning and as I looked across the road a moose came out of the bush. I got my camera and away I went.
Not one but two moose
Not two but four moose
How wonderful is that, a great way to start my day and our trip to Newfoundland.

No comments:

Post a Comment