Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Buckskin Mountain State Park

Located a short distance from Parker, AZ, Buckskin Mountain State Park is our next destination. I'm looking forward to less traffic noise and being close to water. As we arrived we were greeted by a wonderful volunteer who gave us all the ins and outs of the park. Love this place already, happy happy people.
On the beautiful Colorado River
Check-in & Rangers Station
We had a back-in site with a view of people hiking the mountains. All sites have water and 30 amp service however some have sewer connections, we did not.

Our Site # 25
We got set up in very short order so I went for a walk exploring the park. I love this place, lots of hiking trails in the mountains and it's so quite. The occasional boat or jet ski flies down the river but that adds to the excitement of the place.
A 300HP engine on this ?boat
So the first hiking trail I went on overlooked the campground and Colorado River. In total it took me about an hour. I sat up there enjoying the peace and quiet. I had to climb back down as it was getting really hot and I didn't bring water with me. I could have stayed until sunset.
Yes our rig is down there...somewhere
I was up early the next morning wanting to explore another trail in the mountains. I bought a walking stick at the ranger station and asked about rattlesnakes. Their answer "because of the high temperatures they are out so go early in the morning and be careful". Okay, so away I go. So far no rattlesnakes today but I was rewarded with a wonderful trail and beautiful scenery.
I went to the mines first
Mines like this everywhere you look
Mine shaft the sign said 25 +/- feet deep
The trails were easy to moderate with some areas being quite steep and narrow while other were like walking down the road. On my way back I passed people with dogs which is okay with the park. Dogs are allowed on the trails. However, in saying that the number of cactus along the trails are huge. So dog owners beware. Because of the sharp thorns, I had another flat tire yesterday on my bike. I pulled no less than 20 thorns out of my front tire.

I was feeling pretty good about hiking these paths so away I go the next day to Interruption Point. This is a little longer but was rewarded with another day beautiful weather and gorgeous views of the river.

Easy path
The reward...looking at the California side of the Colorado River
Barrel Cactus & Rock Formations...love it
We spent 4 nights at Buckskin Mountain and I knew we would come back someday. It was our type of park. Susan and I were able to use our bikes, there's plenty of birds and wildlife to see, I was able to hike, and most of all it was quiet and peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment