Sunday, March 30, 2014

Angel's Landing

The one trail that everyone talks about in Zion is Angel's Landing. The day before we left was that day. Yes it's Angel's Landing day. Remember people have died climbing it but then again people have died crossing the road. With Susan's blessing and a be careful, out the door I went. Am I nervous, hell no, more excited than anything. I park Precious(my truck, yes that's her name)and away I go. As soon as you get across the river you start a gentle climb, then it gets a little steeper and a little steeper.
Looking back at the trail...A good climb so far
If you weren't breathing heavy by now a series of switchbacks will test your lungs and make your legs burn. I can't ever remember feeling like this when I ran all those marathons. I haven't even got to Walter's Wiggles yet.
These were tough I have to admit
The trail does flatten out on a few occasions allowing time to get use to the higher elevations and to catch your breath.
Don't get close to the edge... it's straight down
Obstacles
Nice rock formations



















This gentle part quickly ends when I got to the infamous Walter's Wiggles, a series of 21 quick zigzag switchbacks.
Walter's Wiggles
After conquering the wiggles, I reached Scouts Landing and a much needed rest was required before I ascended to Angel's Landing. Many people turn around at this point and there is absolute nothing wrong with that. As I got ready to go a really strange feeling came over me. Something I haven't felt in a long, long time...fear. As I watched others go up today was not the day that I would be going.
Chain holds help you navigate the trail up
At the end of the tree branch is Angel's Landing
As I watched people come and go I knew I had made the right decision. Enjoying the view of the canyon below and the mountains above was almost heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment