Friday, January 1, 2016

Hello Rio Grande Valley

With a very heavy rain storm coming we decided to move further south a day early making it New Year Eve day and are we glad we did so. Not because of partaking in to much late night festivities but it turns out a nasty storm with high winds, cool weather, and lots of rain was heading our way. Happy New Year to all.

So, after 1 1/2 months on the coast listening to the waves crashing and tasting salt we decided to head inland for awhile. How long is awhile, I have no idea. Nothing is planned from here on, we are going by the seat of our pants. Now if you know me you're probably wondering what is going on. Yes, I usually have things planned at least 1-2 years in advance. No I'm not bored of travelling, I just want to stay put. It might have something to do with all the birds in this area. We shall see.

We arrived in the small town of La Feria and this is going to be our home base while exploring the Rio Grande Valley. Like most of Texas, La Feria was first settled in 1777 when the land was assigned to Rosa Maria Hinojosa de Balli by Spain as a land grant. The family maintained controlled of the land into the mid 1800. In 1909 a local land developer, developed the town of La Feria and opening a post office. The railroad came to town in 1911. By 1915, La Feria had a population of 200 and supported a bank, two churches, and a weekly newspaper. The town reported 90 business in 1967 including fruit and vegetable canneries, manufacturer of carnival equipment, cotton trailers, and liquid fertilizer. Here's a peek of what is in store for my blogs to come.

La Feria sits between the city of Harlingen to the east and Mercedes to the west. The small town consists of one main street with many of the stores closed. However, it did not stop the community from making it look beautiful.  




La Feria still has it share of fruit trees and crop growing. I found a great place to buy fresh naval oranges and grapefruit. They even had banana trees on the farm however, the bananas were not ripe.
I talked to Joan from Iowa (the hired help) about the farm. She was kind enough to show me the inside workings of the fruit separator. Brought back allot off memories from when I was a kid working the fruit farms in my home town.
Ready to be sold
Talking to Joan was wonderful but I had taken up way too much of her time. She had other customers coming and going. My final sight was "the cat on a hot tin roof". I wonder if he ever saw the movie.
Sugar Cane Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment