Friday, November 28, 2014

Canaveral National Seashore

Feeling more confident about Lulu’s health we decided to push on. With an overnight stop at Pecan Park RV Resort just north of Jacksonville, we made our way to the next destination, Seasons in the Sun RV Resort in Mims, Florida. A place we had been several times before. What’s there you ask! Well, its a great place to hang out so I can explore my favorite birding place Black Point Wildlife Trail on Merritt Island. A bonus is Canaveral National Seashore which is just down the road. 

However, our trip to Mims was not without its scary moments. We drove through one of the worst rain storms I had seen. We were stopped literally in the middle of I-95 not moving because it was raining so hard no one could see. I found out later 9” of rain fell in a matter of hours. Now I know why all the campsites were flooded when we arrived.

With the weather working in my favour off I go to Canaveral National Seashore to see the sights.
It doesn't take long before I'm doing the wow and OMG thing. This wonderful seashore is part of the national parks system so my America The Beautiful annual pass was honoured here. The park was created in 1975 and is home to several species of plants and birds. Its location is between New Smyrna Beach and Titusville on the barrier island and is accessible by vehicle at the very north or southern ends. 
A 24 mile long sandy beach, a little rough today
Beautiful butterflies everywhere
There's a paved road with 5 access points to the beach. The day I went it was windy, warm, sunny, and not alot of people around. Just the way I like to explore nature.
Paved road with nobody around
Enjoying a walk through
century old oak trees
Access point #4, looking out over the vegetation to the Atlantic
Sitting on the beach watching the fisherman fish, the brown pelicans dive for fish, and me eating my wonderful picnic lunch of tuna fish ( getting the theme of this adventure), I though it was time to move on to my favorite place to bird watch Blackpoint Wildlife Drive. This 7-mile, one way, self guided trail meanders through both salt and freshwater marshes.

Again, my America The Beautiful pass allowed me entry into the refuge otherwise there is a $5.00 fee (honour system). The drive offers several areas to stop however many avid birds pull far enough off the road to allow traffic to pass.
This drive can be a hit or miss situation. There are times I see thousands and thousands of birds, other times a few, its all dependent on the time of year. I've seen several species of wading birds, shorebirds, raptors, waterfowl, along with alligators, otters, and wild hogs. Patience is a virtue here.
Mud flats usually a favorite for wading birds, nothing today
Open prairie with palm canopy in background
Usually I do the drive at least twice. On the second time around I park the truck and venture down one of the 7 trails looking for different birds. Cruickshank trail leads to an observation tower that allows one to look out over the marshes.
Cruickshank Tower in the background
With the day getting on its time to go home and tell Susan my adventures. Another wonderful time out doing what I love to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment