Fort Stockton originally named Camp Stockton until 1860 had the third largest source of water (Comanche Springs) in Texas. Therefore, it became a favorite stopping place for cattle drives, infantry men, wagon trains and now us. With the discovery of oil and natural gas, today Fort Stockton is seeing an economic boom.
|Sunrise over Fort Stockton|
|Paisano Pete the Roadrunner|
|An old prank someone put soap in the water|
|Shows the importance of oil to the area|
|The start of Historic Fort Stockton|
|First National Bank circa 1913|
|Desk used by Annie Riggs|
|Very old wheelchair|
|Different types of Barbed Wire|
Across the road from the Riggs Hotel is the Pecos County Courthouse.
The Pecos County Jail was built in 1883 and enlarged in 1913. It now houses a museum depicting a holding cell, local sheriffs, and law enforcement. Unfortunately it was closed so we couldn't investigate.
|Pecos County Jail now a museum|
Driving around Fort Stockton is not always about sunny skies and dry climate. The flood markers throughout the city tells a different tale. After living in El Paso I know what they mean when they say flash floods and torrent rains. Check out this flood marker. If you think they are kidding, think again.
|Looks can be deceiving|
Yes, there is a fort in Fort Stockton. In 1867 Fort Stockton was established at it's present location. The fort consisted of 35 buildings of which only 4 remain today.
|Old West wagon used in 2 John Wayne movies|
The last stop along our historic tour of Fort Stockton was the Hovey School and St Stephens Episcopal Church. The school was built in 1917 at a railroad stop in Hovey. It served as a one teacher, seven grade schoolhouse. It was moved to this location in 1987.
The St. Stephens Episcopal Church was constructed in Pecos in 1896 and moved to Fort Stockton in 1958. It is one of the oldest protestant churches west of the Pecos.
|St. Stephens Episcopal Church|
To the west of the city is another silhouette representing a small hunting party of Comanche Indians. They are pausing to search for the few remaining buffalo.
|"Look to the East"|