Thursday, November 21, 2013

Blackpoint Wildlife Drive

As we moved down the east coast into Florida we make a short stopover at Seasons in the Sun Campground. This is another great place with lots of space between sites and all the amenities.
Campground fire pit
 There's a nice walking path with plenty of orange and grapefruit trees along the way. Picking the fruit is allowed by all campers but the rule is only pick what you can eat.
Easy back-in sites
The campground has a couple of nice lakes (with gators) to watch birds and animals. There are 2 pools one heated one not.
Large clubhouse with movie theater
Enough about the campground. Your probably wondering why is this place so special. Well it's not. We stay here because it is very, very close to Blackpoint Wildlife Drive (BWD) on Merritt Island. This place happens to be one of my favorite birding destinations. The BWD is a 5 mile drive around lakes and waterways and happens to be a prime stopover for migratory birds. So enough said, I was up with the birds (no pun intended) and out the door before the sunrise to catch the first shots of the day.

There was a lot of cloud cover and a few downpours but that didn't stop me. I'm usually good for 3-4 times around BWD. After my first time around the birds that I'm use to seeing were just not there. I did manage to get some shots of an American Avocet which was a first for me.
American Avocet


   

No comments:

Post a Comment