Saturday, November 10, 2012

Discovering Cub Run Cave

 I must admit I was a little disappointed with the previous cave we explored. So, I needed another cave fix. Susan had enough cave exploring so I ventured out on my own but first which cave needed explorin'. I decided on Cub Run Cave because our guide at the previous cave could not say enough about it. So off I went. The drive was beautiful through the Kentucky countryside. The leaves had mostly turned colour and fallen allowing one to see further without tree and leaf obstruction. It was also a beautiful sunny warm day but that wont matter since I'm underground. Cub Run Cave was first discovered in August 1950 by Kenneth Childress and his 16 year old cousin Rancel Logsdon. The cave was opened to the public shortly after discovery but closed a year later due to land disputes. It remained sealed for more than 50 years but reopened to the public in July 2006.


Cub Run Cave is a half-mile long with elevated wooden walkway which traverses through beautiful formations such as flow stone, cave bacon, cave coral, stalactites, stalagmites, and more.
 
Rocky outcrop overlooking entrance to cave
Creek flowing from original opening
 
Formation on ceiling caused by water flow
 

 
Elusive cave crawfish










Cave Cricket
Dips from cave ceiling cause concentric circles every few seconds





Cave Salamander

No comments:

Post a Comment